5 Things To Know: Panthers vs Thrashers
Friday, 04.03.2009 / 9:21 AM / Preview
FLORIDA PANTHERS (38-28-11 87pts.) vs. ATLANTA THRASHERS (33-38-6 72pts.)
April 3, 2009
April 3, 2009
5 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT TONIGHT'S GAME:
5. The Florida Panthers have posted an 22-12-6 mark since Jan. 1, earning points in 28 of their last 40 games. After 77 games, Florida (38-28-11) owns their best record since 1999-2000 campaign (41-26-5-5), the last time that the Panthers qualified for the post season. The Panthers are currently riding a three-game winning streak (3/26 @ PHI 4-2 W, 3/28 @ DAL 6-3 W, 3/31 vs. OTT 5-3) and host the Atlanta Thrashers in the second game of a three-game homestand this evening.
4. D Jay Bouwmeester ranks third in the NHL averaging 26:57 of ice time per game and ranks 24th among NHL league leaders with 39 points (15-24-39). He also holds the NHL’s active consecutive games played streak at 336 games played, dating back to the 2003-04 season. Bouwmeester tied his career high with his 15th goal of the season on Mar. 28 at Dallas, which also ties the franchise mark by goals scored by a defenseman in season. Additionally, with his 50th goal of his NHL career on Thursday, Feb. 5, Bouwmeester became just the second Panthers defenseman to record 50 tallies while playing for the Cats, joining Robert Svehla (61).
3. Seven of Florida’s top 11 leading point producers are 26 years-old or younger (Weiss-25 yrs old; Booth-24 yrs old; Horton-23 yrs old; Bouwmeester-25 yrs old; Frolik-20 yrs old; Campbell-25 yrs old, Ballard-26 yrs old).
2. C Michael Frolik ranks seventh among NHL rookie scoring leaders with 41 points (20-21-41). In addition, Frolik places fifth in rookie goal scoring (20) and fifth among rookie leaders in shots on goal (151). He recorded the 20th goals of his freshman season on Mar. 31 vs. Ottawa, becomimg jsut the third Panthers rookie to score at least 20 goals joining Mark Parrish (24) and Kristian Huselius (25).
1. G Craig Anderson has posted a 3-0 mark in his last three starts with a .935 save percentage and 2.33 GAA. Additionally, he owns a 6-0-2 mark this year when he makes 40 or more saves and a 9-0-3 career record with the Panthers when makes 40 or more stops. Over his five year NHL career, he owns a 10-1-4 mark when he recorded 40 or more saves.
NO LOCAL TV:
790 The Ticket
7 p.m. - Panthers Preview
7:30 p.m. - Panthers vs. Thrashers
Broadcasters: Randy Moller (PxP), Bill Lindsay (Color)