By The Numbers: Tomas Fleischmann
Panthers By The Numbers takes a closer look at some of the interesting stats that you may or may have not known about.
2011-12 SEASON FOR TOMAS FLEISCHMANN
|Forward Tomas Fleischmann led all team scorers in his first year as a Cat. (Getty Images)
0:25. - Tomas Fleischmann lived up to his nickname “Flash” on April 3rd against the Winnipeg Jets, as he scored just 25 seconds into the second period. His second period goal would prove to be the third fastest goal scored by a Panther in the 2011-2012 season.
2. - The number of games it took for him to score his first goal as a Florida Panther. After picking up his first point as a Panther with an assist in the season opener, Fleischmann didn’t wait long to kick off his campaign as leading scorer, as he tallied his first goal in just the second game of the season against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
4. - Four of his career-high 27 goals were game clinchers, helping his team pick up the pivotal two points in their march to the playoffs. His four game-winning goals were 3rd on the team only behind his linemates Stephen Weiss, with six, and Kris Versteeg, with five. It’s no surprise as to why they were considered one of the league’s hottest trios to start the season.
7. - Advertised as General Manager Dale Tallon’s most exciting signing in the off-season, Fleischmann proved the value of his creativity as he experienced a Panthers season-high 7-game point streak from Oct. 22nd to Nov 6th, in which he tallied nine points (4-5-9).
9. - Fleischmann led the way several times this season including a game against the San Jose Sharks on December 3rd, where he threw a single-game career high and Panthers season high nine shots on goal. Putting the saying, “you can’t score if you don’t shoot” to the test, Fleischmann ended up with one goal and one assist in an impressive Panthers 5-3 win.
13. - Led the team with 13 multi-point games, tallying two points eleven times during the season and three points twice. Florida finished with a 9-0-4 record when Flash picked up two or more points, proving his importance to this years Southeast Division champs.
|Fleischmann played a full 82 games for the first time in his NHL career (Getty Images)
27. - The 2011-2012 season was a series of personal bests for Tomas Fleischmann, one of them being goals scored with 27. In a game against the New York Islanders on March 25th Flash scored his career-high 24th goal, only to add three more before the season’s end, adding to his already impressive season. That total easily surpassed the 23 he netted during the 2009-10 season with the Washington Capitals.
61. - On March 17th against the Buffalo Sabres, Fleischmann picked up a power play assist to reach yet another milestone in his career: points in a season, with fifty-two, surpassing his total of 51 recorded during the 2009-10 season. Flash wasn’t done yet. Continuing to lead by example he tallied nine more points before the season end bringing his point total to 61, good enough to lead all Florida players.
82. - Skating in all 82 games, Fleischmann put all the health concerns to rest and proved his commitment to not only the Panthers, but also his love for hockey. Fleischmann was one of three players, along with defensemen Brian Campbell and Mike Weaver, to remain off the injury list allowing him to soar to the top of nearly all player stats.
217. - It’s only fitting that the leading scorer should lead the team in shots and Fleischmann remained committed to that responsibility by throwing a daunting 217 shots on opposing netminders. In comparison to other league leaders, he finished 54th in most shots, only 122 attempts behind league leader, Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin.