Friday Web Hits-July 18, 2014
Is it October yet? No unfortunately not, but it is Friday so that will have to do for now.
This time of year can be tough for hockey fans with the oppressive summer heat smothering happy memories of cool evenings spent at BB&T Center watching the Panthers. But don’t get too down. The 2014-2015 season is closer than you think, so close in fact Florida Panthers single game tickets go on sale TODAY. So what are you waiting for? Go grab your Panthers tickets here….but first… take a look at our weekly web hits:
• Ever think to yourself, "I wish I could watch Aleksander Barkov conduct an interview in Finnish?" Of course you have, and now your wish has been granted! Here is Barkov interviewing Florida’s 2014 third round draft pick, Juho Lammikko.
• While the peak of the Panthers offseason came on July 1, when they signed six players on the first day of free agency, the Panthers have still been busy locking up restricted free agents. Last week it was D Erik Gudbranson signing a two-year contract, and this week D Dylan Olsen and C Brandon Pirri re-upped for two-years apiec, while Dmitry Kulikov agreed to a three-year deal. Also signing with the team this week was C Ryan Martindale and F Garrett Wilson.
• Breaking up a typically slow period in the sports world this week was the ESPY’s which were held on Wednesday night. Winning the inaugural Pat Tillman Award was Josh Sweeney who is a member of the San Antonio Rampage sled hockey team.
• Taken with the first pick in the NHL Draft, Aaron Ekblad is coming off an impressive development camp. He also impressively made the cover of the latest issue of ‘The Hockey News.' Check out the cover here.
• Speaking of Aleksander Barkov, here is NHL.com correspondent Alain Poupart’s story about the young Finn as he prepares for year two. Also, check out Poupart’s story on defenseman Mike Matheson, who will be returning for his junior season to captain the BC Eagles.
Now what are you waiting for!? Get your single game tickets here.