“South Florida High School Student Athlete of the Month” sponsored by Chili’s
The Florida Panthers and Chili’s have teamed up to launch the South Florida High School Student Athlete of the Month program, which will honor one male and one female student each month for excellence in academics, athletics, and community service.
The purpose of this program is to honor students not only for their excellence on field, ice, or court, but also to celebrate their achievements both in the classroom and the community. Each month, the Florida Panthers will select one male and one female student based on a nomination process that is open to all coaches, principals, athletic directors, teachers, school administrators, or other academic or athletic mentor that works with the student. Each winner will receive VIP tickets to a Florida Panthers home game where they will be recognized via a plaque presentation prior to the game on the ice and will receive Chili’s bucks for a post game celebration!
- The following requirements must be met for each nominee to be eligible for consideration:
- Athlete must currently be enrolled in 9th-12th grade.
- The student has to be currently participating in the sport during the time of the nomination (ex. a student who played a sport in the Fall cannot be nominated for the Athlete of the Month for that sport in the winter or Spring after that season is over).
- Student must be academically eligible to be actively playing (GPA requirements must be met)
- If the athlete nominee quits school or moves to a school not in the South Florida Tri-County area (Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach) then he/she will no longer be eligible for consideration
It is important to note that the student does not have to be playing for his or her respective school in order to be considered for nomination – students that are part of a team outside the educational realm may also be considered as long as the team is part of a legitimate governing structure (i.e. League); however, students that fall into these categories must still meet the academic requirements that would otherwise make them eligible to be playing on their school’s behalf.
- Nominations can be made online at www.FloridaPanthers.com/Community
- Nominations may be submitted by coaches, principals, athletic directors, teachers, school administrators, or other academic or athletic mentor that works with the student.
- Nominations must be received by the last day of each month in order to qualify for that month’s award.
- Students may be nominated more than once; however, nominations do not carry over into the following month and the student must be re-nominated if he or she is not selected as the “Student Athlete of the Month” for the month they were originally nominated.
- Athlete statistics along with any supporting media (news releases, video links, etc.) are strongly recommended.