The Florida Panthers play their home games at BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida. Sunrise is a town just west of Ft. Lauderdale and just north of Miami. A part of Broward County, Sunrise is conveniently located at the center of Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. It is also easily accessible via 595, 75, 95 and the Sawgrass Expressway.
Click here for directions to BB&T Center.
Sunrise, Florida is…..
• 7.2 Miles from Coral Springs, FL
• 13 Miles from Ft. Lauderdale Beach
• 14 Miles from Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
• 16.02 Miles from Boca Raton, FL
• 34 Miles from South Beach, Miami
• 40 Miles from West Palm Beach, FL
• 53.9 Miles from Palm Beach, FL
• 96.7 Miles from Naples, FL
• 181 Miles from Key West (Southernmost point of US)
• 198 Miles from the Kennedy Space Center
• 215 Miles from Cinderella’s Castle
• 1,068 Miles from New York City
• 1,388 Miles from Montreal, Canada
• 1,489 Miles from Minneapolis, Minnesota (Nick Bjugstad’s hometown)
• 4879 Miles from North Pole, Alaska
• 5,085 Miles from Tampere, Finland (Aleksander Barkov’s hometown)
• Sunrise was originally known as Sunrise Golf Village, and was incorporated in 1961 by Norman Johnson
• Johnson was appointed mayor by Governor Farris Bryant even though at that point, there were no residents in the village
• Norman Johnson used the “Upside Down House” as a way to attracted buyers to the area
• The name, Sunrise Golf Village was shortened to the more succinct Sunrise in 1971
• Sunrise has the distinct honor of having Florida’s first Ikea
• Sawgrass Mills Mall is the 7th largest mall in the US (2,383,906 sq. ft.) and also the largest single story mall in the US.
• The Mall is also kind of shaped like an alligator which is very fitting considering Sunrise’s proximity to the Everglades
• Sunrise hosts a number of special events every year including the Harvest Festival every October and a ‘Woodstock’ event in December.
• The annual Sunrise Fourth of July Celebration is hosted at the BB&T Center and features live music and fireworks.